<

I Am Shiba.

Dedicated to momentary thoughts and musings of A Shiba Inu.

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Belle-chan: Then and Now





Belle-chan has always been known for her beautifully foxy round face. This gives her that distinction of being known as "cute" rather than "distinguished," or "intelligent-looking." She does have that classic fox-like Shiba face while I have more of a "coyote" look.






However, this is Belle-chan today. She has no extra fur anywhere on her body- no undercoat what-so-ever. From September until yesterday, she shed nonstop until she lost every bit of undercoat anywhere on her body.


And now she looks like this malnurished skinny stray dog that We found somewhere.


It truly is sad. I am used to associating myself with the Beauty of the Breed and it appears now that Beauty has become more like a Beast. And a scraggly one at that.


I, of course, am allowing my undercoat to return as cooler breezes blow, but it appears that Belle is striving for that skinny Southern Belle style of the 1800's when dogs starved during the Civil War. She looks more ready for a Hoe-Down than a Grand Party like from Gone With The Wind.

Belle-chan just looks so very un-Shiba-like.


Truly the South is not the place to be a Shiba.




I Am Shiba. My Coat Is Fine, Thank You Very Much.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belle-chan is beautiful, with or without an under coat. My little girl black and tan Shiba is 15 years old and she has multiple health issues. My Shiba (she is adopted and came to me with the unoriginal name of Shiba) just blew her under-coat and looks a bit scraggly. I don't care how she looks. Everyday I appreciate that she is still with me and enjoy the time I spend with her.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belle-chan still looks fine. She looks a lot slimmer! Wasn't it nice that Belle-chan found out her round face and all those weight was actuallly her furs?!

Actually with the round face, she looked more like features of male shiba. Now with slimmer triangular face, she looks more feminine :)

Either way, she looks very much shiba (and still looks wicked & cute).

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belle-chan now looks like those super-glossy Japanese shibas in blog pix. I always wondered how they got that way.
NC has had cool, snowy winters recently. Maybe Belle's coat will change its mind.
AND, Cortez, don't speak too soon. You could still shed, and look lithe rather than sturdy. Handsome either way, I bet.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I have no idea how I stumbled upon this blog but man am I glad that I did! It's HILARIOUS! I especially love the signatures at the end. Keep it up - your posts always make me laugh out loud.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Yep, my black and tan Shiba mix always looked skinny after the twice a year coat blows. It'll grow back.

I wish she was still with me to make me crazy with the shedding. I had to have her PTS last May because of an autoimmune disease that attacked her red blood cells. RIP Bandit, the Perfect Dog.

8:32 PM  
Blogger shannimals said...

You have no idea how relieved I was to hear that Bella has been blowing her coat for so long. Raiden is going on 2 MONTHS and it's driving us crazy!! I thought something was wrong w/ him (it's his first coat-blow, if you will). Bella looks beautiful either way ;)

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home