<

I Am Shiba.

Dedicated to momentary thoughts and musings of A Shiba Inu.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

How Music Does Not Soothe the Savage Beast

I will be the first to admit I live in a dysfunctional household. And it is not my fault. Between The Felines, The Man, and The Woman, there is no peace for The Shiba. I am constantly caught in conflict.

So what is the big issue that became evident to me this last weekend? Music. And how did this become evident? Because The Man accused The Woman of listening to crap, and The Woman responded by turning up the volume louder. The Man returned to his Cave and responded by upping the volume on his music. They meet in the hallway, shouting over the noise, each attempting to prove that the quality of their music is better.

Not that this bad in and of itself except that these noise wars do interfere with own's ability to nap.


The Woman listens to Pop music, Ambient, Jazz, Slow Songs, Top 40, Dance, Foreign Music, cd's of Drums and Animal Sounds.

The Man listens to Punk, Techno (of many sorts which I can't differentiate except that they all have Bass at different speeds), Heavy Metal and Souxsie and the Banshees.

It's amazing the two of them were ever able to cohabit or get married. I can barely stand a dog that has any different opinions from my own; I could not imagine living with a canine that preferred tennis balls to squeeky toys.

Don't get me wrong. The Man works hard to find CD's that The Woman will enjoy. Electronic Jazz, Ambient, DJs Micro and Skribble, and has even purchased Moby CD's for her despite his extreme distaste for The Commercial Sellout (he told me all about this one night on the back porch over beers and barbacue). The Woman concedes by not playing her music when he is around which makes it evident right now that he is not, as 6 week old Top 40 music is blasting through the house.

So this weekend, the music wars recommenced in full force. I was crated and the bilayers of music blasted the walls and shattered the tranquility of the usual nighttime peace. The parties lasted every night of the four day weekend, for peace to only resume once the long weekend was over. Monday morning, when every one left, I think that The Felines and I both slept for the first time in days.

And now I lay here on my blanket next to the heater, guarding as The Woman works, listening to Shakira and Pussycat Dolls, wondering, will it ever end?


I Am Shiba. Whatever happened to Shakuhachi or Biwagaku?

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane of the dogs said...

LOL well Cortez you grew up listening to Metallica (pre and post symphonic CD), Bagpipes, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, many other assortments of music (although NOT top 40 or Moby) AND Rob and Dennis playing electric guitar. One would think varied music would be in your soul

Although maybe you always wished for a quieter house :)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home