<

I Am Shiba.

Dedicated to momentary thoughts and musings of A Shiba Inu.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cortez, Boy Scout Extraordinarie


Build the Bond, Victoria Schade, Bark Magazine, J/A 2009.

"It became clear to me that in order to have happy, frustration-free partnerships with our dogs, we need more than just love and training. For a relationship that truly thrives, we must cement a bond with our dog built on trust, mutual respect, and regard."

The Woman Trusts Me to do The Right Thing at The Right Time.

Two days ago, we (myself, Belle-chan, and The Woman) went to go play in Squirrel Park. It was fabulous. There were lots of squirrels to chase and smells to be found. We all laughed, and had fun.

Then, off to the Farmer's Market we all went, where we purchased fresh produce. Belle-chan enjoyed a crunchy carrot while I stood around and let small children adore me.

Then, the Liquor Store, where The Woman bought "supplies" for the weekend, and we (Belle-chan and I) made fun of a Chihuahua that also happened to be there. (OMG, is that really a dog?? ha ha ha ha ha!)

Then, off to Highland Park as The Woman needed food for the weekend and That Guy wanted his special ice cream. It was starting to get hot and humid now, but we waited patiently for her return because we both know that Highland Park means deli meats and cheese!

We drive Home. It's like 2 miles.

As we get near the House, the Woman slows down. There is a dog running down the street, a little Yorkshire Terrier. There are cars severing to avoid Him, and there is another Woman from a different car attempting to call The Terrier and get him to come to her.

The Woman (of course) stops. Emergency Lights. "Did You Lose Your Dog?"

"No, this Dog is just running loose!"

The Woman, without a thought, opens the back door and grabs my leash. "Come Cortez," she says, "Heel now!"

I leave the car and immediately Heel. Traffic is stopped on all sides of this busy street. The Yorkshire Terrier is running around. He is scared. He is Shaking. He is Frightened.

He is Alone.

Belle-chan is barking from the Front Seat Driver's Side, wondering what are we doing?!

The Woman leads me toward the Terrier and says, Hey Little Guy, let's play! Cortez, be good, let's play! Come on, let's play!

Okay.

As we get close, I immediately assume the crouch, and the Terrier, with interest, runs up to me. I start to bounce; he starts to bounce, and The Woman scoops him up and now he is no longer running scared in the street.

He has a collar, but no tags.

He is trembling in her arms. The People Who Are Waiting On The Road, cheer and clap, and then each one slowly moves around the emergency blinking cars and go about their business.

Sometimes, People can be very considerate.

Upon arriving Home, The Woman finds That Guy and says, "I need your help. Get the Cat Carrier Please." And when He walks out carrying it, and sees her holding The Terrier, He asks No Questions. He knows that whatever happened, happened for a reason.

The Woman gets The Terrier comfortable and calls the Warden, who comes quickly. It is very apperant that The Terrier is owned by someone who loves him; his fur is well cared for and his attitude is timid but positive.

After about an hour, The Phone rings, and The Woman finds out that The Terrier's Person has been found, and they are all reunited. This is a Feel Good Moment. The Terrier was not injuried on the Road nor did it get more lost than it could have. It was from the Neighborhood but had gotten out an open door.

And it took a Shiba to bring it Home.



I Am That Shiba.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Cortez, proud of you. I'm sure the Terrier's woman appreciates you very much. BTW, do you have a published e-mail address for a dominion who wants to consult you?

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir Cortez, You are my hero. You and The Woman make a great team! M.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cortez, one more dog enslaved to The Shiba World Domination Pact. Roar! Roar!Thou areth the king!

12:03 AM  
Blogger The Shiba said...

I now have an email address.

It is iamshiba@hotmail.com

5:13 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Great job - you two make an impressive team!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Henry and Chad said...

Oh, what a beautiful story. You're a hero, Cortez, but we expect nothing less from a fellow Shiba.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Vi said...

Yay! I'm glad to your story had a happy ending. Good job Cortez! =)

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cortez
You are such the hero! Kudos to the woman as well for the rescue.

As a human with a 6 month old shiba, I'm hoping he grows into the regal being that you are.

So glad to see a happy ending!

Cheese, potatoes and scratchings to you.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was this Terrier dog picked up by the Wardens? Was she in the doggie jail?

-Retriever's warden/owner

10:51 AM  
Blogger The Shiba said...

The dog was running wild in a very busy street- and yes, I called the Animal Control because I recognized that this dog was not a stray, and I knew that someone would be looking for it.

The City that I live in has a very good Animal Control, and is very pro-pet, and what I was hoping is that the dog was microchipped and his owners easily found. This was a dog with no tags so I had no where to look. I also have to assume for the sake of my own animal's health (just in case) that the dog might have health issues and I needed to react accordingly.

The two shibas and the feline were not necessarily happy about a new dog in the mix so I could not allow the dog into any area that the other animals live. Hence, Animal Control again was the option.

The vet that the city uses is the same vet that I use so I knew that the first thing that they do is take the dog there, and do a full examination, and attempt at ownership finding. This vet has a huge database of animals and can usually find owners through their own network system.

I know the wardens well. I have worked with them regarding local lost shibas (everyone seems to think that I know what shiba belongs to whom and where) The Terrier was going to be safe, and if perhaps, no one had claimed him, he would have easily been adopted. So yes, I sent him to doggie jail because I knew that this was the safest place for him, and that his owners would try there first before looking anywhere else.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the explanation, The Shiba. I didn't know what you meant by the word "warden". I thought you might have meant something else.

Yes, I think your usage of the Animal Control was completely appropriate in this instance and caring thing to do. Thank you for saving the Yorkie and I'm sure everyone involved were very very happy.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home