<

I Am Shiba.

Dedicated to momentary thoughts and musings of A Shiba Inu.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fidelco Walk, May 16, 2009


Can you say "Let's invite every single German Shepherd in the surrounding area to one place and let them all march together?"

That is what the walk was this year! Over 100 German Shepherd puppies in training, 50 German Shepherd dogs in training, and over 15 actual Guide Dogs walking the
path through Manchester Community College. Plus, a number of German Shepherd owners brought their own dogs to be a part of the crowd so there were easily over 200 German Shepherds of all shapes, colors, and sizes gathered together on one lawn.


I was The Only Shiba. As it should be. Little Miss Disaster was left at home since she thinks that German Shepherds are mere obstacles to be subdued and eliminated while I recognize that every dog has a job to do.



There were some interesting breeds present. There were two Gordon Setters, as well as a number of Irish Setters. There were several Siberian Huskies and 4 Klee Kai which The Woman found amusing as they resemble little miniature Siberian Huskies. The Woman appeared very interested in this breed, however, they are not Shibas and Shibas shall remain within this house. I walked next to a Miniature Pinscher who, like myself, started in the back of the pack and by the time we finished, we were way up in the front.

I like to lead, not follow.

There were the Labs, the Golden Retrievers, a few Pit Bulls, and one very slobbery English Bulldog. There was a Black Great Dane (I could take him) and the local Rottweiler Rescue Group was present. In fact, there were a number of Obedience Groups and Rescue Groups walking with their own colors but once again, I marched to my own beat.

I wore my coat of Bolton Veterinary Hospital Allan's Angels, and even had questions asked about my duties as a therapy dog. Uh, hello, I do therapy? I present myself and people automatically feel better about themselves and their situation? The Woman seems to think that there is more involved, but she hardly understands what it is that I actually do.

So the weather was good, the dogs polite and I was worshipped by the masses. I was only asked once if I was a Corgi, and as there were several Corgis present, I think that answer was fairly obvious.

No.


I Am Shiba. I Am A King Who Walks Among The Kings.

(The Woman notes: Thank you all for your donations. Together, we earned $240 dollars which will pay for a puppy in training for between 4-6 months.)

(Cortez notes: And trust me, those puppies need all the training they can get! The little imps tried to sniff my butt!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you look so fabulous and I'm so proud of you. You've done good thing. I hope you can take Ms. LMD with you although Ms. Hanako would have agreed with her point of view of dominating Shepards if necessary.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous JS said...

Good to hear from you, Senor Cortez. You look smashing, as usual.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sr.Cortez,

Just to clarify so that the readers won't take my comments out of context....Ms.Hanako is my dog (corgi)and she likes to bark and chase bigger dogs in the playgrounds. In this case, she would have been outnumbered and out resourced,so I would have left her home too. I hope Little Miss Disaster will be able to join you NEXT YEAR, Sr.Cortez.

-California corgi

8:48 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

I am writing an article on the Walk for Fidelco for The Reminder News. I was wondering if you would be available via email or phone to answer some questions about your experience at the walk. If so, please feel free to email me at reneecan AT gmail DOT com. Thanks so much.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honorable Cortez,

So glad to see you are still spreading the word of the Shiba.

The side kick of yours is awfully cute.. Will she ever post?

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home