<

I Am Shiba.

Dedicated to momentary thoughts and musings of A Shiba Inu.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Take a Shiba to Work Day


So Wednesday, The Woman brought me to her place of work, and showed me what she does. Part of the reason I was there was to work some therapy on some children who enjoy walking dogs, and I sat in some chairs so that some wheel-chair bound children could pet me, but otherwise, I spent a good portion of my day, hanging with The Woman. We also visited two children who have known me for years, but I just had not had the time to visit them until this day. Both very glad to see me.

She did not have to spend much time in the classroom so half the time, I just hung around her desk, and greeted students as they came in. One young lad was very sad. His father is dying of a brain tumor so while The Woman worked at her desk, the boy sat on the floor next to me, scratching my belly. I even showed him my ticklish spot, and he laughed because every time he stopped, I waved my paw in the air saying "No, you can keep going!" We then went to that boy's class, and I played ball as the kids learned about "Service Dogs."

I was supposed to go home at this point, but The Science Teacher stated that he really need The Woman in his class so there was no time for the drive. I was tied to a chair (I could not be loose in Science Lab for safety reasons; I did not want to wear goggles and a lab coat) and rested while the kids learned how to apply the scientific method to making ice cream. Well, I certainly do not mind lying quietly while ice cream is being made all around me, and sure enough, at the very end, The Woman made arrangements for me to have a sampling or three.

I should mention that I did score in the junk food department:

1 hamburger
1 chicken filet sandwich (dropped by a student)
Cheese
Ice Cream

No wonder The Woman has such a tough time dieting!

Everyone was, of course, impressed by the Power of All That Is Shiba. Everyone commented how they could never bring their dog to school and have it behave so well. I have an image to uphold and a breed to represent. I am hardly going to ruin that image by running through the building, jumping on people, or barking for no reason. Instead I was exactly as described by the AKC:

"A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty."

However, I must end with this rather humorous tale. As The Woman walked to Science class with two special education students (one holding my leash and the other walking with us), the smaller of the two lads turned to The Woman and said, "Are you sure this is the same dog that you brought to summer camp? I thought your dog was a lot bigger."

The Woman hugged The Child as we continued our walk, and stated, "Sweetie, it's not that the dog was bigger, it's that you have just grown so much since then . . . "

But then again, we Shibas always have that way of appearing much bigger than we actually are.


I Am Shiba. Working 9 - 5 should be left to The Humans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**Poke Poke.. *** "Is this microphone on?"

Cortez....... I miss you..

Words of wisdom.. Whats going on with you?

Nikko's Momma

7:48 PM  
Blogger The Shiba said...

The Women has been busy but we are now back in action.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home